Search for books, music, films, and more from JHU and other libraries
Department: Data Services
- MS in Library & Information Science, Simmons University, 2016
- MA in History of Art, Courtauld Institue of Art, 2013
- BA in Anthropology & History of Art, Johns Hopkins University, 2011
- Thorsen, H., Denis, L., Fernsebner Eslao, C., McGee, M., and Folsom, S. (2019). “Wikidata and Libraries as Partners in Data Production, Organization, and Project Inspiration.” At WikidataCon 2019 in Berlin, Germany.
- Denis, L. (2019). “Using Wikidata to Extract Cartographic Resources from Archival Collections.” At the International Cartographic Association Conference on Digital Approaches to Cartographic Heritage (ICA DACH) in Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Denis, L. (2019). “A Fine and Fertile Country: How America Mapped Its Meals.” At the Mapping (In)justice Symposium in New York, NY.
- Denis, L. (2019). “Bound Images as Linked Open Data: Examples from the Work of Erwin J. Raisz.” At the From Sovereign Map to Bound Image workshop in Providence, RI.
- Weimer, D. and Denis, L. (2018). “Harvard’s Public Library: What the Birth of the Harvard Map Collection Can Tell Us about the Changing Meanings of Library Collections.” At the American Philosophical Society’s Past, Present, and Future of Libraries conference in Philadelphia, PA.
- Denis, L. (2020). “Cartographic Justice: From Omission to Illumination of America’s Black Communities.” Insurrect!. https://insurrecthistory.org/2020/12/11/cartographic-justice/
- Denis, L. (2019). “Bound Images as Linked Open Data: Examples from the Works of Erwin Raisz.” https://jcblibrary.org/bound-images-denis.
- Denis, L. (2018). “A Fine and Fertile Country: How America Mapped Its Meals.” https://arcg.is/1LnH4C.
- Denis, L. and Henry, D. (2018). “Farming the American West.” https://arcg.is/1iza85.
- Master of Science in Information, University of Michigan, 2019
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies and Spanish, University of Michigan, 2015
- Kalt, M. & Seroka, L. (2019). “Open Data in Detroit: Transforming Residents’ Relationships with their City” at the Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, Austin, TX.
- Terminal degree (MLS, PhD)
- M.S. in Library and Information Science (data curation concentration), University of Illinois 2010
- M.S. in natural resources and environmental sciences, University of Nevada, 2005
- Other degrees
- B.S. Zoology and Biological Aspects of Conservation, University of Wisconsin, 2000
- Gunia, B and Pralle, B. (2014). “Development of a Small Data Collections Archiving Service Option at Johns Hopkins University at The Coalition for Networked Information (CNI) Fall Meeting, December 2014, in Washington, DC.
Fearon, David Jr., Betsy Gunia, Sherry Lake, Barbara E. Pralle, and Andrew L. Sallans. Research Data Management Services. SPEC Kit 334. Washington, DC: Association of Research Libraries, July 2013.
- MS in Historic Preservation, University of Pennsylvania School of Design, 2014
- BA in History, Peace & Conflict Studies (high honors), Swarthmore College, 2009
- RMOTR – online bootcamp in Python (2017)
- Women Who Code, Women in GIS, URISA
MS in Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2009
BA in Social Science and German (honors), University of Michigan, 2005
Blake, M. and Mika, K. (2018). “Planning a Community-Created Data Rescue Toolkit.” At the Coalition for Networked Information (CNI) conference in Washington, DC.
Joque, J. and Blake, M. (2018). “Black European History and the Digital Humanities.” At the Defining Black European History conference in Washington, DC.
Blake, M., Herndon, J., Wrubel, L. and Hogenboom, K. (2018). “Beyond the Numbers: Building Collections of Non-Numeric Data.” At the International Association for Social Science Information Services and Technology (IASSIST) conference in Montreal, CA.
Blake, M. and Boehm, R. (2018). “Data Rescue After the Smoke has Cleared.” At the International Association for Social Science Information Services and Technology (IASSIST) conference in Montreal, CA.
Moore, J., Blake, M., Sedlins, M., and Kozlowski, W. (2018). “IASSIST/DCN Data Curation Workshop.” At the International Association for Social Science Information Services and Technology (IASSIST) conference in Montreal, CA.
Blake, M. (2018). “Engaging with Data Rescue: Connecting to Efforts to Save Government Produced Data.” At the APSA Teaching and Learning Conference in Baltimore, MD.
Blake, M. and Mattke, R. (2017). “Building and evaluating the user experience of an Open Source Geoportal: the Big Ten Academic Alliance Geoportal.” At the Free and Open Source for Geospatial (FOSS4G) Conference in Boston, MA
Johnston, L. R., Carlson, J. R, Hudson-Vitale, C., Imker, H., Kozlowski, W., Olendorf, R. K., Stewart, C., Blake, M., Herndon, J., and McGeary, T.M. (2018). Data Curation Network: A Cross-Institutional Staffing Model for Curating Research Data. International Journal of Digital Curation 13 (1). http://www.ijdc.net/article/view/616
Blake, M. R., Majewicz, K., Mattke, R., and Weessies, K. W. (2017). A Spatial Collaboration: Building a Multi-Institution Geospatial Data Discovery Portal. Collaborative Librianship 9(3). https://digitalcommons.du.edu/collaborativelibrarianship/vol9/iss3/7/.
Blake, M. R., Majewicz, K., Tickner, A., and Lam, J. (2017). Usability Analysis of the Big Ten Academic Alliance Geoportal: Findings and Recommendations for Improvement of the User Experience. Code4Lib Journal 38, October 18. http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/12932.
Blake, M.R. and Morse, C. (2016). Keeping Your Options Open: A Review of Open Source and Free Technologies for Teaching in Higher Education. Reference Services Review 44, (3). https://doi.org/10.1108/RSR-05-2016-0033
- PI, Planning a Community-Created Data Rescue Toolkit, Institute of Museum and Library Services
- Co-PI, Data Curation Network (https://sites.google.com/site/datacurationnetwork/), Sloan Foundation
- Terminal degree (MLS, PhD) PhD in Neuroscience and Cognitive Science
- Moss, C. F., Chiu, C. and Moore, P. 2014. Chapter 8: Analysis of natural scenes by echolocation in bats and dolphins. In Biosonar: Springer Handbook of Auditory Research. Edited by Fay, R. R. and Popper, A. N. pp304.
- Lee, W-J., Falk, B., Chiu, C., Krishnan, A., Arbour, J. H. and Moss, C. F. 2017. Tongue-driven sonar beam steering by a lingual-echolocating fruit bat. PLoS Biology, 15(12):e2003148. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.2003148.
- Wright, G. S., Chiu, C., Xian, W., Wilkinson, G. S. and Moss, C. F. 2014. Social calls predict foraging success in big brown bats. Current Biology, 24: 885-889.
- Sterbing-D’Angelo, S., Chadha, M., Chiu, C., Falk, B., Xian, W., Barcelo, J., Zook, J. M. and Moss, C. F. 2011. Bat wing sensors support flight control. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 108: 11291-11296.
- Terminal degree (MLS, PhD)
MLIS, University of California, Los Angeles, 2009
PhD in Sociology, Univ. of California, Santa Barbara, 2005
- Other degrees
BA in Sociology & Human Development, Colby College, 1989
- Fearon, D. (2017) “Expanding Data Management Service Boundaries at Johns Hopkins University,” at the 9th Annual University of Massachusetts and New England Area Librarian e-Science Symposium, Worcester MA.
- Fearon, D. (2013) “Two tools for supporting research data management plans: one for the grant proposal writer and another for the proposal’s reviewer” at the International Digital Curation Conference, Amsterdam.
- Fearon, D. (2017) “Data as intellectual property” at the Research Data Access & Preservation Summit. Seattle, WA.
- Fearon, D. and Darragh, J. (2015) “Training for de-identifying human subjects data for sharing: a viable library service” at the International Association for Social Science, Information Science and Technology Meeting in Minneapolis
- Fearon, David (2015) Origin and Development of Johns Hopkins Data Management Services at the 7th Annual University of Massachusetts and New England Area Librarian e-Science Symposium, Worcester MA.
- Fearon, D.S., Gunia, B., Lake, S., Pralle, B. E. & Sallans, A. L. SPEC Kit 334: Research Data Management Services. Association of Research Libraries. 2013. https://publications.arl.org/Research-Data-Management-Services-SPEC-Kit-334/Chapters
- Fearon, D., Boehm, R. “Addressing the Gaps in Data Archiving for Large-Scale Computing Research at the Academic Research Institution.” Research Data Management Implementations Workshop. 2017. https://rdmi.uchicago.edu/papers/08252017121920_paperFearon082517.pdf.
- 2014-2016 Special Librarians Association (SLA)
- 2013, 2015 International Association for Social Science Information Service and Technology (IASSIST)
Master of Science in Geographic Information Systems, Johns Hopkins University, 2016
Master of Science in Library & Information Science, Drexel University, 2014
Bachelor of Arts in Business Management, Johns Hopkins University, 2005
Applied GIS in Public Health
GIS Certification Institute, GISP
Women in GIS