What is an ETD?
An electronic thesis or dissertation (ETD) is digital version of a dissertation that is available to the public via the internet. Universities and colleges in the United States and abroad have been moving toward this type of publication for the past decade. Johns Hopkins started its own ETD program beginning in the fall semester of 2013.
Who is affected?
- All PhD Students
- Masters students with a required thesis may submit; contact your program office for information
- Other graduate degrees: Consult with your graduate office
How and when do I submit my ETD?
- Submit after you have defended your thesis or dissertation and made all edits required by your committee
- Login with your JHED ID to the JHU ETD submission system, fill in the required metadata, and upload a PDF/a file of your thesis or dissertation
- The required PDF/a file format is different from a standard PDF. Please see the formatting page for further instructions
The ETD submission fee is $60 and may be paid by credit card or by funds transfer from your department. The fee is due at the time of submission; payment verification is required for approval.
Pay by Credit Card – $60
IMPORTANT: If the card you are using is not your own (e.g., spouse or parent’s card), proceed with the payment at the site, but then email your name, your JHED ID, and the name of the credit card owner to email@example.com so we can link your submission with the payment.
Pay by Department Funds Transfer
NOTE: This option is available at departmental discretion. Request that the department administrator fill out the PDF form and submit it to the ETD Coordinator.
- In-Person or Mail: Digitization Unit, A-level, Milton S. Eisenhower Library (M-F, 9 am to 5 pm)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will be offering a series of one-hour ETD workshops throughout the semester. Please join us to learn more about the submission process, how to format your ETD, and copyright concerns. Keep watching this space for more times and locations. We will broadcast each workshop via Adobe Connect.
We currently have no live workshops scheduled, but a recorded version is available. Future workshops will be posted to the Library Trainings & Workshops page.
Required Submission Information
There are several descriptive fields that you must fill out during the submission process. Some of these fields will help other researchers find your ETD and others will control when your ETD will be made visible to the public. Each of the required fields is denoted with an asterisk (*), and you will not be able to continue further in the process without filling them in. Please see the Formatting Guidelines and Checklist for more information. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.