PDF/A is an ISO-standardized version of the Portable Document Format (PDF) specialized for the digital preservation of electronic documents. You need to save your dissertation as a PDF/A file and upload it as your official submission. For more information, see the Wikpedia article on the format.
Note for Mac users: that while you can save a Word for Windows document as a PDF/A (see below for instructions) you cannot do so directly from Word for Mac. If you are a Mac user, consider saving your Word document as a PDF/A using a Windows computer, such as at the library, or use Adobe Acrobat Pro.
Notes about PDF/A format
- you cannot include audio and video content; still images are fine
- fonts must be embedded
If you need to include audio, video, or other files, you can submit them as supplementary files. Contact us at email@example.com for more help with PDF/A or supplementary files.
Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Select the “Preflight” function on the edit menu
- Choose “Convert to PDF/A-1b”.
Word for Windows
- Click “file” then “save as PDF”
- Make sure file type is “pdf files”
- Click on Options and a box with “PDF Options” will open
- Check the “Create PDF/A” box, then click “OK” and “Save”.