Search for books, music, films, and more from JHU and other libraries
Department: Academic Liaison
Dr. Mackenzie (Mack) Zalin is Librarian for Classics, Comparative Thought and Literature, Jewish Studies, and Modern Languages and Literatures in the Sheridan Libraries at Johns Hopkins University. In this capacity, he oversees collection development, reference, and instruction in the Sheridan Libraries for French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Latin, Portuguese, Spanish, and Yiddish languages and literatures.
In addition to his regular duties at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Zalin serves as the chair of the Advisory Board of the American Office of L’Année philologique to the Society for Classical Studies. He is also an ex officio member of the Société Internationale de Bibliographie Classique. His recent contributions to the Comedias Sueltas USA project are discussed in an article co-authored with Szilvia Szmuk-Tanenbaum in the 73rd volume of the Bulletin of the Comediantes.
MS, Library Science, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 2019
PhD, Classical Studies, Duke University, 2016
MSt, Greek and Latin Languages and Literature, University of Oxford, 2010
BA, Greek and Roman Studies (Minor in Spanish; honors, Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude), Rhodes College, 2009
- MA in Library Science, University of Minnesota, 1981
- BA in Geography, University of Minnesota, 1978
- Exhibit Curator, “Maryland from the Willard Hackerman Map Collection”, George Peabody Library (2018 – 2019)
- “Developing Library Programs and Services Using Geospatial Data” (2017) at Bridging the Spectrum Symposium in Washington, DC.
- “Maps for a Digital Age” (2016) At the Special Libraries Association annual conference in Philadelphia.
- “GIS in the Hands of Future Librarians” (2016) At the Virginia Library Association annual conference in Hot Springs, VA.
- Adjunct Faculty, Dept. of Library and Information Science, Catholic University of America (1996 – present)
- Member, GeoTech Committee, American Library Association, Map and Geospatial Information Roundtable (2017 – present)
- Member, Maryland Geological Survey, Data Preservation Advisory Panel (2015 – present)
- Member, Advisory Council, GIS Program, Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, Johns Hopkins University (2008 – present)