How to Check Out a Book
Book Requests/Holds & Circulation
- Use the request link in BorrowDirect and Catalyst (JHU libraries’ catalog) to specify delivery of books to “Harbor East.” Deliveries arrive once per weekday (except holidays) via a courier.
- Books can be retrieved from the “Holds” shelf across from the librarians’ office during building hours. Items are held for 7 days.
- Self-checkout is available with your J-card. Ask a librarian or contact the Eisenhower Library’s Service Desk (410-516-8370, email@example.com) for assistance. (East Baltimore users may have to get a barcode or activate their cards at the service desk at either the Welch Medical Library or Eisenhower Library on Homewood campus).
- Items can be returned to any JHU library.
- Items in the Harbor East Library’s onsite collection are non-circulating.
More detailed circulation policies and procedures are available under Borrow & Request.
Need books or articles that are unavailable through Catalyst or BorrowDirect? You can have articles sent to you by email and books delivered to you at the Harbor East library through your Interlibrary Services account.
- Go to Interlibrary Services and use your JHED login ID/password to access your account and submit or track requests. (New users must create a personal profile.)
- Specify Harbor East as the pick-up location for books.
- Once items arrive at the Harbor East Library, you will get an e-mail letting you know that the item is ready to be picked up.
- Call 410-234-9286 or email us to make an appointment to get your book from the librarian’s secured office. Because these materials do not belong to JHU and are already checked out to you, a librarian must be present to deliver them.
Book renewals are at the lending institution’s discretion. Check with Interlibrary Services staff for additional information.